| GEO Sports|
| IPL rejects Pakistan's plea on Asif ban|
| Updated at: 0912 PST, Tuesday, February 17, 2009|
NEW DELHI: The Indian Premier League rejected a request from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to backdate pace bowler Mohammad Asif's ban for a positive dope test during last year's Twenty20 tournament.
The IPL's drug tribunal last week announced a one-year ban on Asif for testing positive for the banned steroid nandrolone, and said the ban would run from Sept. 23, 2008 until Sept. 22, 2009.
The Pakistan board asked the IPL to backdate the ban to July 15, 2008, the date of the positive test. He has not been allowed to play representative cricket since then.
The 26-year-old paceman appealed against the results of the doping tests because the A and B samples showed different levels of nandrolone, which he claimed was contained in eye drops he'd been using to treat a sore eye.
"We've received a request from the Pakistan Cricket Board to advance the ban on Asif from Sept. 23 to July 15, 2008, but we cannot do so," IPL chairman Lalit Modi said in Mumbai.