| GEO Sports|
| Dejected Yousuf opts to retire: announcement today|
| Updated at: 0729 PST, Monday, March 29, 2010|
KARACHI: Pakistan's world record holder batsman Mohammad Yousuf Saturday said he had decided to retire next week in protest over an indefinite ban imposed on him by country's cricket board. The 35-year-old Yousuf, who holds the world record for most runs in a calendar year with 1,788 made in 2006, was banned by an inquiry committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) two weeks ago.
"Yes, I have decided to retire as Pakistan player and my decision is not an emotional one," Yousuf told AFP. "It's of no use playing after such an insult which is unacceptable and I will announce my decision on Monday." Yousuf led Pakistan on their twin tours of New Zealand and Australia between November and February after regular captain Younus Khan withdrew over a lack of form.
Last week Yousuf vowed to appeal. "Yes, I may still appeal, but a final decision will be taken on Monday," said Yousuf who was also deprived of his annual central contract by the PCB last week, putting further question marks over his career. Yousuf said his commitment in playing for the country had not been rewarded by the cricket authorities. "I am deeply hurt because I have always played with commitment for my country and fans know this, but not those people who run cricket, this is a big tragedy." "My 12-year career is impeccable and I have never let down anyone."