| GEO World|
| 28 wedding guests electrocuted in India|
| Updated at: 1358 PST, Friday, May 14, 2010|
RAIPUR: At least 28 people returning from a wedding were electrocuted on Friday when their bus hit a power cable in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, police said.
The accident occurred in the state's remote Mandla district, some 450 kilometers (280 miles) from state capital Bhopal, area police chief K.K. Sharma told foreign news agency by telephone.
"There was a metal almirah (cabinet) on top of the bus which came in contact with a high-voltage power cable, resulting in the electrocution of 28 of the wedding guests," Sharma said.
Most of the victims were women he said, without giving any numbers. The local agency said three children and 12 women were among those killed on the bus, which was carrying 32 people.