| GEO Pakistan|
| SWA: Death tally in drone strike touches to 65|
| Updated at: 0115 PST, Wednesday, June 24, 2009|
SOUTH WAZIRISTAN AGENCY: The death toll in suspected US drone strike in the South Waziristan Agency has risen to 65, witnesses and officials said late on Tuesday adding that the missiles hit a funeral procession.
Sohail Mehsud from the town of Makeen in the South Waziristan tribal region said he saw three unmanned drones fired missiles on Tuesday afternoon at the funeral procession for suspected militants killed by a similar strike earlier in the day.
At least two missiles were fired at the funeral prayers, killing at least 17 people earlier and injuring several others but later in the day the death toll mounted to 65.
The missile attack targeted the hideouts of Baitullah Mehsud, where Commander Sangeen is reported to have been killed.
Commander Sangeen belongs to Afghanistan.
U.S. officials concede missiles fired from drones have targeted suspected militant leaders in the tribal zone for months, but they do not comment on individual strikes.