| GEO World|
| Flood-hit south China braces for more rains|
| Updated at: 1149 PST, Thursday, June 24, 2010|
BEIJING: China braced for more downpours Thursday as the government set up emergency response headquarters to combat floods and landslides that have killed over 200 people and forced more than two million from their homes.
The state meteorological bureau warned that more rains were due to pound five hard-hit provinces and regions in southern China in the coming days, as water levels on many rivers surpassed historic highs.
Up to 196 millimeters (eight inches) of rain pummeled parts of Jiangxi and Fujian provinces during a 24-hour period starting Tuesday, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said, warning of landslides and mudflows.
More than 15,000 soldiers had been dispatched to hard-hit areas to help in rescue operations, while militias aided in the evacuation of over 75,000 people in Jiangxi after a dyke burst on the Fuhe river, it added.
The disaster, which has hit 10 southern and central Chinese provinces or regions, has caused an estimated 43 billion yuan (six billion dollars) of economic losses and displaced 2.4 million people since June 13. At least 211 people have died in the disaster with 119 left missing, the ministry said.