| GEO World|
| At least 60 hospitalized after Mumbai gas leak|
| Updated at: 1011 PST, Wednesday, July 14, 2010|
MUMBAI: At least 60 people were taken to hospital on Wednesday after a leak of chlorine gas in a sprawling industrial district of the Indian city of Mumbai, emergency services said.
Mumbai Fire Brigade chief fire officer Uday Tatkare said the leak happened in the Sewri area of the city owned by the Mumbai Port Trust.
"One of three cylinders stored in a courtyard at a warehouse owned by the Trust leaked. The leakage has been brought under control and we are in damage control mode," he told foreign news agency by telephone from the scene. Four firefighters who were sent to the scene were among those in hospital but were in a stable condition, he added.
A total of 58 people were taken to the state-run hospital for treatment for "breathlessness, suffocation and nausea", a spokesman said. Eight were in a critical condition in intensive care, he added.