| GEO Sports|
PCB won’t suspend any player pending betting probe
| Updated at: 1622 PST, Tuesday, August 31, 2010|
LONDON: Pakistan Cricket Board said Tuesday it would not suspend top players accused over a betting scam while the claims are probed, but reports suggest they will not play the rest of the tour in England.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has promised "prompt and decisive action" if the allegations made by a British Sunday newspaper are proven, insisting that corruption would not be tolerated.
Pakistani authorities have also promised severe punishment but the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said Tuesday it would not suspend any players while police investigated the players.
"Chairman Ijaz Butt just told me that since there is a case going on with the Scotland Yard we are not going to suspend any player," a PCB spokesman said.
"He further said that this is only an allegation so far. There is still no charge or proof on that account. So at this stage there will be no action taken."
According to British media reports, the players named in the News of the World allegations -- captain Salman Butt, Mohammad Aamer, Mohammad Asif and Kamran Akmal -- are unlikely to play in the series of one-day internationals against England.
The Pakistan team begin their preparation for the one-day series, which follows the Test series in which the alleged betting scam took place, with a practice match against English county Somerset on Thursday.
The first one-day match against England is on Sunday.
The News of the World, a British Sunday tabloid, alleged that a middleman took 150,000 pounds (230,000 dollars, 185,000 euros) to arrange for Pakistani players to deliberately bowl the no-balls.
The Daily Telegraph newspaper said it understood that the ICC had asked the Pakistan authorities for the four players cited in the allegations to be dropped from the squad, although no official request has been made.
Other British press reports said the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) was adamant that the players at the centre of the allegations should be omitted from the one-day series.
Citing an ICC source, it also reported that the same players had been under investigation for months by their anti-corruption unit.