| GEO World|
| US: Libya slow to compensate US terror victims|
| Updated at: 0537 PST, Friday, September 05, 2008|
WASHINGTON: The State Department says that Libya has not yet met its commitment to deposit hundreds of millions of dollars into a fund for the victims of two terrorist attacks.
The delay is awkward for Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as she prepares to meet Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi Friday. The trip was intended as a reward to a previously shunned leader for his agreement to compensate the victims of the two attacks.
State Department spokesman Robert Wood said Thursday that Libya had not made the deposit but did not say what steps the United States would take to ensure that it did.
The settlement approved last month is intended to fully settle claims by the families of Americans harmed in Libyan-sponsored attacks.