KARACHI: Interior Minister Rehman Malik said Friday that the operation in Lyari had been temporarily stopped.
Speaking to Geo News, the Interior Minister clarified that the operation was temporarily stopped in order to allow those criminals time who had accepted the governments offer to surrender.
Malik added that the police would remain in the troubled locality and respond to any future attacks.
Earlier the Interior Minister was quoted as saying that the operation in the area had concluded and police forces were being withdrawn.
Malik’s statements however conflicted with those of the city’s Police Chief Akhtar Gorchani.
Gorchani said that the operation was ongoing and a meeting chaired by IG Sindh was deliberating on the future course of action in Lyari.