Tuesday Oct 25, 2016
QUETTA: In the first official briefing on the Quetta police training centre attack, Inspector General FC Major General Sher Afgun informed the press that the attackers acted on directions from Afghanistan and the initial investigation suggests the terrorists were affiliated with Lashkar-e-Jhangvi Al Almi.
"We came to know from the communication intercepts that there were three militants who were getting instructions from Afghanistan," Afgun told media
Home Minister Balochistan Sarfraz Bugti confirmed that three terrorists attacked the recruitment centre on Monday night.
Talking to media personnel, Sarfraz Bugti said that three militants had targeted the guard of the hostel before entering the premises.
"The militants targeted the sentry stationed at the watch tower. He fought bravely against the militants but embraced martyrdom," he said.
At the time of the attack, an estimated 700 cadets were present inside the Police Training Centre, Bugti said, adding that two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside the training centre. One of the terrorists who was also wearing a suicide jacket was killed before he could detonate himself. The Balochistan Home Minister further said that 250 cadets had been rescued.
At least 61 security personnel were martyred and over 117 people, including recruits and FC personnel, were injured in the terrorist attack.
The compound has been cleared after four hours of operation by the security forces. Rescue work has also been completed.
Earlier speaking to Geo News, Balochistan Chief Minister Sanaullah Zehri had said in response to a question that the government had received intelligence reports a couple of days ago of the presence of militants who had entered Quetta to carry out subversive activities.