Can't connect right now! retry

Tuesday Feb 21, 2017

KP police foil major terror attack in Charsadda

A major tragedy was averted in Charsadda on Tuesday when the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police stopped three suicide bombers from causing havoc at a local court. 

Three suicide bombers stormed the local court opening fire and hurling hand grenades. Speaking to media, Mardan DIG Ijaz Khan said the terrorists tried to enter the premises of the court. The first terrorist detonated his suicide vest near the gate, while the other two were killed in a shootout with the police.

Eight people were martyred in the attack while 21 others, including four policemen were injured and taken to hospitals for treatment. 

Watch: Threat Alert For Courts

The DIG said according to reports there were four militants. The police, however, found bodies of three terrorists.

Among the martyred, the DIG noted, was a lawyer. The police official stressed that there is usually a rush in the court and surrounding areas at this time of the morning, which is why the attack could have been worse.

Condemning the blast, Ijaz Khan commented that security forces will try their best to find the person or group facilitating these attacks, and will make sure they are presented in the court of law.

Security forces have cordoned off the area while a bomb disposal squad and Pakistan Army's quick response contingent has reached the spot. 

Emergency has been declared in hospitals in the area where the injured have been shifted.

Each Bomber Wearing 7-8 KGs Of Explosives 

Charsadda DPO Suhail Khalid told AFP the attackers had opened fire on the police and threw hand grenades as they tried to battle their way into the complex. 

"Bomb disposal experts told us that each bomber was wearing seven to eight kilogrammes of explosives," he told reporters in Charsadda. "Police fought bravely and saved Charsadda from devastation." 

PM Condemns Attack 

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attack in a statement issued by his office.  

"We are a steadfast nation and will not be deterred by such attacks. Our government will continue to fight against terrorists and we will succeed," the statement read.

COAS lauds forces' response 

Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa praised the response of security forces to the blast in Charsadda. The COAS said first tier response saved many lives and he expressed grief over the lives lost. 


Militants Came From Mohmand 

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) MPA Shaukat Yousafzai said according to his information the militants had come from Mohmand Agency. 

"Security institutions are alert in KP," Yousafzai said.

PTI chief praises KP police

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Chairperson Imran Khan has condemned the attack on local courts in Tangi, Charsadda.

"I'm proud of the performance of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police," he said while talking to the media. "The personnel fought [the terrorists] with bravery."
He also lashed out at the lawyers of Sharif family. "Their lawyers believe that the law does not apply to the Sharif family."

Eyewitness Recounts Attack

A resident of the area, Mohammad Shah Baz, told Reuters he was inside the judicial complex when the suicide bombers stormed it.

"I escaped towards the canteen and climbed the wall to save my life. But there were many people dead and injured," he said.

An investigator takes notes at a courthouse after an attack by suicide bombers in Charsadda - Reuters
An investigator takes notes at a courthouse after an attack by suicide bombers in Charsadda - Reuters

Wave of Terrorism 

In the last 10 days over 100 lives have been lost in a string of terrorist attacks across Pakistan.

On February 16, a suicide bomber struck the shrine of Lal Shahbaz Qalandar in Sehwan city of Jamshoro, resulting in the death of at least 88 people. On the same day, three security personnel were martyred in an IED attack in Awaran.

A suicide bomber targeted a vehicle carrying members of the judiciary in Peshawar on February 15. The same day attacks also took place in Mohmand Agency.

14 people were martyred when a suicide bomber struck a protest rally in Lahore on February 13. Later in the day, two members of the Bomb Disposal Squad were martyred in Quetta.

A cameraman from Samaa TV, a channel, lost his life when assailants opened fire on the news channel's DSNG van in Karachi on February 12.


Sabz Ali Tareen, Irfanullah Jan, Aftab Ahmed, Mehmood Jan, Noman Khan, Sheeba Haider contributed to the filing of this report 


Notification Management

Tv Shows

Subscribe to desktop notification
Powered by IMM