Can't connect right now! retry
Tuesday May 21 2019
Web Desk

10-year-old girl allegedly raped, killed in Islamabad

Web Desk

ISLAMABAD: The body of a minor girl, who, according to police, was subjected to sexual assault before being murdered, was found from the federal capital’s Shahzad Town area on Tuesday. Her body was thrown in the forest after the horrific crime.

Police said they had identified the 10-year-old as Farishta. Her family, which belongs to Mohmand Agency, said they had tried to file a missing person report to police on May 15 after she had left her home in the evening.

The family, however, claimed it took police till May 19 to register a first information report (FIR) and, even then, a proper search was not initiated. The minor girl's body was later discovered by locals who subsequently informed police.

Farishta's body was moved to Poly Clinic for post-mortem; however, as of reporting time, it had not been conducted. To protest against the police's negligence in the case, the victim's family protested alongside her body at Taramari Chowk.

Three suspects arrested

Meanwhile, three individuals, including the prime suspect, involved in the alleged rape and murder of the minor girl have been arrested, according to police.

The arrested suspects hail from Afghanistan.

SHO suspended

Meanwhile, Waqaruddin Syed, the deputy inspector-general (DIG) of operations, suspended the station house officer (SHO) and directed Umar Khan, the superintendent of police (SP) for SP Rawal, to present a report in this regard on an immediate basis.

The case bears striking similarity to the last year's rape-and-murder case of seven-year-old Zainab, who was kidnapped from near her aunt’s house in Kasur on January 4 and was found dead in a garbage heap five days later.

The family demanded the authorities to suspect the SHO and station's staffers.

NA speaker says inquiry to be held at every level

Speaker of the National Assembly Asad Qaiser on Tuesday met with the family of deceased girl.

Speaking to media afterwards, Qaiser vowed that the case would be investigated at every level and the culprits would be brought to justice.

The speaker said all concerned officials have been summoned on Wednesday, the parents of the deceased girl would also be summoned and all their reservations would be addressed.

"The girl has to be served justice in any case," he added.