Lakpass Tunnel opened for traffic: Senate told

By AFP
September 28, 2010

ISLAMABAD: State Minister for Communication Imtiaz Safder Warrich on Tuesday informed the upper House of Parliament that main...

ISLAMABAD: State Minister for Communication Imtiaz Safder Warrich on Tuesday informed the upper House of Parliament that main Lakpass Tunnel has been opened for traffic and work on link roads was under process.

In response to various questions raised by senators, he said that it was being developed on Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) basis and the estimated cost for the tunnel was Rs 679 million.

Rs 26.27 million was allocated in PSDP 2009-10 and the amount was used for land acquisition and others utility services, he added.

Replying to another question, the minister said that 456 persons were appointed in the ministry and its attached departments during the last two years while 823 persons were recruited in National Highway Authority (NHA) during January 1, 2008 to September 7,2010.

He said that the recruitments were made purely on merit and following provincial quota.

The minister said a total of 89 toll plazas were currently established on NHA network. Out of these 59 were setup on NHA and 30 on Motorway, he added.

The operations and management contracts for toll plazas were awarded through open competition in line with the Public Procurement Regulatory Rules, 2004, he said.

Safder Warrich said that Rs 1800 million was estimated for CRBC Crossing-Sara-e-Gambila N-55 and Rs 500 million was allocated in PSDP 2009-10 and an amount of Rs 1782 has been spent so far.

He said NHA has planned construction of Expressway (E-350 in two packages through Asian Development Bank (ADB)'s financial assistance.

He said PC-1 for Hasanabdal-Havelian (59 Km) has been prepared at a cost of Rs 2,361 million.

PC-1 for Havelian-Mansehra was being prepared on original alignment, he said.
Next Story >>>
Advertisement

More From No Category