Wednesday Sep 11, 2019
KARACHI: The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) on Wednesday announced it would reassess the security situation in Pakistan after it received a warning from its Prime Minister's office of a "possible terrorist threat".
The SLC's fresh statement — issued Wednesday evening — has once again thrown the possibility of the Sri Lankan cricket team's tour to Pakistan under doubt.
According to its statement, the SLC sought the Sri Lankan government's assistance to conduct a reassessment of the security situation in Pakistan ahead of the national team’s planned tour for the September series.
“The decision was taken following a warning, the SLC received from the Prime Minister’s Office, sent via the Ministry of Telecommunication, Foreign Employment and Sports,” the statement said.
“Accordingly, the warning highlights that the Prime Minister’s Office has received reliable information of a possible terrorist threat on the Sri Lankan team while touring Pakistan,” it added.
As per the press release, the SLC was advised to take extreme care and "reassess" the situation before embarking on the much-anticipated tour.
Following the SLC's press release, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in its own statement said it "reiterates its commitment to provide complete safety and security to" Sri Lankan cricket team.
The PCB said, "We have seen the SLC statement, but are not privy to any information or intelligence report relating to the safety of the SL team.
"The PCB reiterates its commitment to provide complete safety and security to the SL side and in this relation will continue to work with the SLC," it added.
The Sri Lankan cricketers were scheduled to arrive in Pakistan on September 25 to play a series of three one-day international (ODIs) matches in Karachi and three T20 matches in Lahore.
The SLC had earlier announced the tour squads, which leaves out 10 top cricketers who had decided Tuesday to pull out of the visit.