The large majority of us spend our entire week waiting for the weekend so we can treat ourselves to our favorite food over the dining table. And honestly, what’s a better form of comfort than home cooked ‘garam garam biryani’ with raita?
Here’s the easiest yet tastiest biryani recipe for you to try at home and enjoy with your family.
- 1 kilogram basmati rice
- 1 to 1.25 kg of chicken thighs
- Salt as required
- One teaspoon of turmeric
- Two inch ginger piece
- Three medium-sized onions
- Three medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup yogurt
- Two tablespoon coriander powder
- Two tablespoon butter
- One tablespoon red chilli powder
- One teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Two tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- Two tablespoon garam masala powder
- Half bunch green coriander
- Half bunch mint leaves
- Half cup cooking oil
- Wash the chicken nicely and leave it to dry.
- Finely chop onions, garlic, coriander, and mint leaves. Also, rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water until the water is clear and leave it to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- To marinate the chicken for the biryani, combine garlic-ginger paste, salt, one teaspoon chili pepper and yogurt in a large bowl and stir together. Allow the chicken to marinate for 1 hour.
- In a pan, add cooking oil and onions with one table spoon garam masala. Sauté the onions until they are golden brown in colour and well caramelised.
- Remove half of the caramelised onions from the pan and add chilli powder, turmeric, coriander, and chopped tomato to the pot and leave to cook until tomato puree is formed and no lumps remain.
- Add the marinated chicken to the mixture and cover the pan, allowing it to cook in medium heat until the chicken is soft cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan after cooking.
- Take a separate pot for rice and add water in it along with salt ,garam masala, and bay leaf.
- Bring water to a roaring boil and add rice. Cook for 5-10 minutes till rice is tender then drain rice completely using a strainer.
- Now spread some oil in a pot and layer half of the rice in a pot accompanied by a layer of chicken gravy.
- Garnish layer with hara masala, caramelized onions, chopped ginger and food colour. After garnish, add another layer of remaining rice on gravy.
- After layering the rice and gravy, cover the lid of the pot and allow biryani to cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. Once done, put it off and mix the rice and gravy together. After mixing, cook biryani for another 4 minutes on low heat.
Present the chicken biryani to your family in a dish with salad, raita and aloo bukhara chatni!