Four children die after consuming poisonous toffees

By
Web Desk
|
Managing Director John Winnard holds the 2 billionth Uncle Joes Mintball to come off the production line at the Santus Toffee factory in Wigan, northern England, February 16, 2011. The sweets, originally made to help coal miners clear their chests after working down the pit, have been produced since 1898.—Reuters
Managing Director John Winnard holds the 2 billionth Uncle Joe's Mintball to come off the production line at the Santus Toffee factory in Wigan, northern England, February 16, 2011. The sweets, originally made to help coal miners clear their chests after working down the pit, have been produced since 1898.—Reuters

  • Four children die after swallowing allegedly poisoned toffees.
  • Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath offers his condolences.
  • The single remaining toffee is under forensic examination.


Four children, three of them siblings, died after reportedly ingesting poisonous toffees in the Kasya area of Kushinagar district in Uttar Pradesh, NDTV reported.

Expressing his condolences on the incident, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath conveyed his condolences and offered help to the grieving families.

The late children were identified as Manjana (5), Sweety (3), Samar (2), who were siblings, and five-year-old Arun.

Mukhia Devi, a resident of Dilipnagar village, found a plastic bag with candies in it while sweeping her house, Additional District Magistrate (ADM) of Kushinagar, Varun Kumar Pandey reported.

Devi offered them to her grandchildren and Arun from the neighbourhood, ADM Pandey added.

The children passed out after taking the allegedly poisoned toffees. When rushed to the hospital, they were immediately declared dead.

The single remaining toffee is under forensic examination, told ADM Pandey.