Salahuddin torture, custodial death: Two police officers put on special duty

DPO Rahim Yar Khan, Umar Farooq, and SP Investigation (Cantt.), Asim Iftikhar, were reassigned to serve as officers on special duty

By |
Salahuddin Ayubi is seen in pain and with his hands held behind his back as Punjab police officers 'question' him. Twitter Video/Screenshot via

RAHIM YAR KHAN: Two police officers were put on special duty on Friday in the latest development in the Salahuddin torture-custodial death case.

The district police officer (DPO) for Rahim Yar Khan, Umar Farooq, and the superintendent of police (SP) for investigation in Lahore's Cantt. area, Asim Iftikhar, were reassigned to serve as officers on special duty (OSD).

Farooq was removed from his post as the DPO for RYK and would now report to city police officer (CPO) for Punjab.

Punjab governor condoles with Salahuddin's family

Separately, Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar travelled to Salahuddin's residence in Kamoke Tehsil on Friday to offer his condolences to the late man's family.

The governor said the black sheep in the police force would be punished and that until there was a justice system in the country, more Salahuddins would continue turning up.

Later, speaking to the media, Sarwar said Salahuddin's father did not ask for anything for himself but requested the governor to make roads in his village, provide gas supply, and set up a technical school in Salahuddin's name to honour the deceased.

The governor, in response, said if he was unable to fulfil these demands, he did not deserve to remain in the provincial government.

On the other hand, Salahuddin's lawyer made three requests to Sarwar: to investigate the case under the leadership of a deputy inspector-general (DIG) rank officer, include a clause of terrorism in the case, and shift it from Rahim Yar Khan to Lahore.

Three Punjab police officers suspended

Salahuddin Ayubi was arrested late last month after a video of him — allegedly stealing from an automated teller machine (ATM) in Faisalabad and then sticking his tongue out at the camera — went viral on social media. Merely a day later, however, it was reported that he had died while in of the Punjab police's custody.

Ayubi's family, who say he was suffering from a mental condition, claim he had died from custodial torture.

Separately, on Thursday, a first information report (FIR) was registered against the police officers involved in the incident, provincial authorities had said, adding that all three were suspended. Further a murder case was also filed against the three police officers, including the station house officer (SHO) who was in charge of Ayubi.

Read more: