Published August 23, 2020
SUKKUR: Police knew about 11 members of a family — who were allegedly knifed to death by a man and his sons in Pano Aqil — being held captive but did not do enough to rescue them, says a relative of the victims, according to a report in The News.
Asad Indhar, one of the relatives of the slain, told police that the alleged killers, Wahabullah and his sons, had kept their family members captive for over a week before slaughtering them. He said that when police was informed about the victims being held in captivity, they failed to rescue them and were pelted with stones in an attempt to do so.
Asad said that police were to blame for the massacre as they failed to take timely action. DIG Police Sukkur Fida Hussain Mastoi admitted that police had been negligent in the matter, adding that their role was being investigated as well.
Asad told the police that deceased Mai Rukhiat, the wife of suspect Wahabullah Indhar, was seven months pregnant with twins. Another victim, the deceased Mai Naseema, who was the wife of suspect Habibullah, was also six months pregnant.
Meanwhile, SSP Sukkur Irfan Samoo said that Wahabullah, who is the father and grandfather of the victims, confessed to the gruesome murders in a fit of rage after a dispute with his wife and a daughter.
Quoting the confessions of two others, SSP Samoo said Wahabullah and his son Kaleem carried out the killings, while they claimed to be accessory to the murders.
Earlier, the ATC Court Sukkur gave a 14 day physical remand of the four accused Wahabullah Indhar and his sons Muhammed Iqbal, Habibullah, Kaleemullah and Abdul Majid to the Cantt Police.
The FIR was registered on the complaint of the father of one of the deceased women under sections 302, 147,148,149 PPC and 617 ATA. According to the IO all the accused have confessed to the ghastly murders. He said medical examination of Wahabullah will also be conducted as he has a history of mental disorder.