Tuesday May 21, 2019
Ramzan can also be the best time to watch your weight and burn all the extra fat. If like us you are a fan of healthy, nutritious meals that are fulfilling, and also prove to be perfect for your fancy diet regime, make these three quick and easy healthy recipes and smash your immaculate Eid look.
1 pound potatoes peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 large carrot julienned
1/4 cup corn kernels frozen or grilled
2 eggs hard boiled, peeled and diced
1 crisp apple cored and diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp finely chopped fresh chives
4 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
• In a pan add cold water and salt the water.
• Put the potatoes in the pan and let cook until the potatoes are tender.
• Using a slotted spoon transfer the potatoes to a colander to drain and smash with a fork and let it cool.
• Add the carrot, corn, apple, and eggs to the potato.
• In another bowl, stir mayonnaise, chives, vinegar, and sugar then add it to the potato mixture.
• Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
• Garnish with chives and refrigerate until cold before serving.
6 sheets phyllo pastry (17x13-inches each), defrosted if frozen
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups ricotta cheese
8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
8 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch baking dish or spray with nonstick spray.
• In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat for about 1 minute.
• Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, stir together onion, drained spinach, ricotta, feta, jack cheese, eggs, dill, parsley, salt and black pepper.
• Spread half of filling in baking dish. Cover with 2 pieces of the phyllo pastry (just tuck the edges in on the sides).
• Brush pastry lightly with melted butter. Top with one piece of phyllo.
• Tuck in any overhanging edges. Spread remaining filling over phyllo.
• Top with 2 more pieces of phyllo and brush lightly with butter.
• Top with remaining phyllo sheet and brush with butter.
• Use a sharp knife to mark 12 squares by cutting through the top layers of pastry.
• Bake until phyllo topping is golden and filling is bubbling gently, about 45 minutes.
• Use a sharp knife to cut through the marked squares. Serve warm.
• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts), cubed into bite-size pieces
• Olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
• Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon salt
• Pinch or two black pepper
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon coriander
• ¼ teaspoon paprika
• 4 middle eastern-style flatbreads/pita bread
• Sliced tomatoes
• Spicy Garlic Sauce
• Place the cubed chicken into a medium-size bowl, and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
• Add in the garlic, plus the remainder of the ingredients and including the paprika.
• Using your hands, toss all of the seasonings/spices very well to coat the chicken.
• Using 4 bamboo skewers, skewer the chicken so that there is equal portions of meat on each skewer.
• Allow the chicken to marinate for about 20 minutes, or even overnight, if making ahead.
• Place a grill pan over medium-high heat and drizzle in a little oil.
• Once the oil gets hot, place the chicken skewers into the pan, and cook them for about 6-8 minutes, turning them occasionally so that they get a bit charred on all sides.
• Allow them to rest, lightly covered with foil, for about 5-10 minutes.
• Remove the chicken cubes from the skewers and set aside.
• To assemble, add a little drizzle of the Spicy Garlic Sauce onto the flatbread, followed by the greens; then, add a couple of slices of tomato, and about one skewer-worth of the lemon chicken.
• Drizzle over a generous amount of the Spicy Garlic Sauce, and fold the sides towards the middle to form a 'wrap'.
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream or full-fat, plain Greek yogurt
3 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
1 tablespoon tahini
2-3 teaspoons sriracha (I used a lot more since I like mine spicy, so use your own judgement!)
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper (again, you can use more, if you like it spicier)
½ teaspoon lemon juice
• Add all ingredients to a medium-sized bowl.
• Whisk together until completely smooth and creamy.
• Use immediately, or keep in the fridge, covered.