Can't connect right now! retry
Tuesday Nov 07 2017

Funeral prayers offered for Pakistani diplomatic staffer killed in Afghanistan


ISLAMABAD: The funeral prayers for a Pakistani diplomatic staffer, who was shot dead in Afghanistan, were offered in Islamabad on Tuesday with senior government officials in presence.

Rana Nayyar, a father of five, was shot dead by unidentified assailants in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad. He had been working as an assistant at the Pakistan Consulate in Jalalabad.

Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif also attended the prayers among relatives and associates of the late diplomatic staffer.

Nayyar's body was handed over to the Pakistani authorities at the Torkham border Tuesday morning, from where it arrived in Peshawar and was sent to Islamabad.

The Pakistani Foreign Office condemned the killing of the staffer in the eastern city of the war-ravaged country and demanded increased security from Afghan authorities for its diplomatic staff and missions in the country.

Confirming the deadly attack, Nangarhar governor spokesperson 

"Police have launched an investigation into the incident. No arrests have been made so far," Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for Nangarhar governor had said Monday, while confirming the deadly attack.

Pakistan's ambassador to Afghanistan Zahid Nasrullah Khan said he had "absolutely no idea" why Nayyar, a father of five, was targetted.

A statement by the Pakistani foreign ministry said that Nayyar had finished "his three-year tenure in Jalalabad and was due to return to Headquarters."

Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif condemned the attack and asked the Afghan authorities to provide security to Pakistani diplomats in the country.

Pakistan's foreign secretary also summoned Afghan charge d’affaires to the FO on Monday and lodged a strong protest with him over the killing, Faisal said.

The Afghan charge d’affaires was also handed a protest note, he added.

The incident comes a few months after two Pakistani diplomats working at the same consulate in Jalalabad were kidnapped and later freed.