Dadu honour-killing: Medical board to report after exhumation of body, post-mortem

Hamid Mian Shaikh
Riaz Narejo

DADU: A four-member medical board was formed on Tuesday to probe the alleged stoning to death of a nine-year-old girl, authorities said, adding that the honour-killing victim's body was scheduled to be exhumed tomorrow morning (Wednesday).

A notification from the director-general of the Sindh Health Services, Dr Masood Ahmed Solangi, the medical board has been ordered to release its findings in a report three days from the exhumation and the subsequent post-mortem.

The medical board comprises the medical superintendent of Hyderabad, two professors — including one of pathology — from Liaquat University of Medical & Health Sciences (LUMHS) in Jamshoro, and the Hyderabad police surgeon.

Read more: Dadu honour-killing victim's father claims death was accident

A day prior, local judicial magistrate Agha Imran Pathan had given a go-ahead to exhume the body after the senior superintendent of police (SSP) for Dadu, Farrukh Raza, had submitted a request for the same a day prior.

The same day, police included the deceased girl's mother into their investigation. On the other hand, the girl's father — who was arrested alongside two others — refuted the honour-killing claim, saying his daughter was killed in an accident when a mountain rock fell on her.

The three arrestees — including the nine-year-old's father, Ali Bakhsh, Moulvi Mumtaz Laghari, and a facilitator of her funeral and burial — were remanded into police custody on Sunday after they were presented to the district session judge. Apart from them, two others have been named in the first information report (FIR) filed over the case.

Also read: Accused in alleged honour-killing remanded into police custody

A police spokesperson, Abdul Razzaq Qambrani, had said Sunday raids were being carried out to search for and detain the remaining two accused and explained that the nine-year-old's family was a group of nomads who moved from one place to another for trade between Sindh and Balochistan.

The girl was allegedly stoned to death over the so-called honour in Wahi Pandhi on November 21.