| GEO Pakistan|
| No foreigner killed in Danish embassy attack: NA told|
| Updated at: 0043 PST, Tuesday, June 03, 2008|
ISLAMABAD: Minister for Law, Justice and Human Rights Farooq H. Naek Monday told the National Assembly the explosion outside the Danish embassy claimed six lives and no foreigner was in the casualties.
Responding to a point of order, Law Minister said the explosive-laden vehicle exploded about 10 to 15 feet from the embassy gate.
However, he said it is yet to be investigated how the security personnel failed to intercept the vehicle leading to the embassy gate while crossing all the barriers.
He said a joint investigation team comprising officials of FIA, CID, Islamabad Police and agencies has been constituted which has been directed to submit the initial probe report within 24 hours. He said the embassy is located in a posh area where all security measures are in place and police had barricaded the embassy surroundings.
Due to different reasons, no ambassador had been appointed in the embassy for more than a year, he told the Lower House of Parliament.
The Minister said the killed included two security guards, a gardener and a sweeper while the identity of two others has not yet been ascertained. He assured the House that culprits behind the incident would soon be arrested and brought to justice.
Earlier, the parliamentarians strongly condemned the terrorist attack on Danish embassy and demanded thorough probe into the incident. Speaking on a point of order, Engineer Amir Muqam said the embassy had been receiving threatening letters since long but no proper security measures were taken in this regard.
MNA Abdul Qadir Khanzada said, MQM strongly condemns the attack on the embassy and termed it a shocking incident adding it would not only malign the country’s image but also affect foreign investment.
He called for more security measures to strengthen the law and order situation in the country adding such steps could only maintain the economy.
MNA Barjis Tahir said the embassy had allegedly been receiving threats after the publication of the sacrilegious images, but security measures were insufficient which resulted in the incident.
He said law and order situation can be better tackled by ensuring rule of law and implementation of Constitution in true spirit.