Wednesday Sep 13, 2017
KARACHI: Pakistan on Wednesday said that a military solution to the Afghan issue will create further complications, after its foreign minister returned home from a diplomatic offensive to engage regional powers which share a similar point of view on Afghanistan.
Speaking on Geo News' programme 'Aaj Shahzaib Khanzada Kay Sath', Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif said all the three regional states - China, Iran and Turkey - acknowledged Pakistan's sacrifices (in the war against terrorism) and backed its stance beyond expectations.
Pakistan decided to approach regional countries after US President Donald Trump announced his controversial new policy for South Asia, which included 'anti-Pakistan' remarks.
Since then, Islamabad has gone on a diplomatic offensive, engaging regional countries that share its point of view with regards to Afghanistan.
The minister stressed on the need for resolving the Afghan issue regionally and urged the countries affected by Afghanistan's situation to find a solution to it.
Asif said that he has spoken to his Afghan counterpart and Pakistan's efforts were bearing good results.
He said that he had briefed the prime minister on the issue and soon the matter will be presented before the National Security Committee.
The minister said that he also had talks pertaining to India's political role in Afghanistan. "New Delhi won't have a political role in Afghanistan. It will only be restricted to the economic sector."
He, however, said that India's investment in Afghanistan is not meant for its betterment, whereas the United States has clarified that New Delhi does not have a political role in Afghanistan.
Last week, Asif stressed that the United States should respect Pakistan's territorial integrity.
"We want to stay engaged with the United States. We have had a long relationship with them, spanning 70 years,” he said, but lamented that people in Washington do not have a full comprehension of the facts.
Asked about Chaudhry Nisar's criticism of his statement about "putting own house in order", the minister said the former interior minister expressed his personal opinion.
He, however, stood firm on his statement saying it was said in the backdrop of the past four years, which was true.