Friday Jan 12 2018

LEAs prevent re-eruption of protests over Zainab's murder, rape in Kasur

KASUR: Normalcy seemed to return to Kasur on Friday after several days of protest following the discovery of seven-year-old Zainab's brutal rape and murder. 

Markets opened after being shut for at least two days as traders announced an end to their strike while traffic began plying on roads that had been blocked by enraged residents protesting the gruesome incident.

The minor girl, a resident of Road Kot area of Kasur, had gone missing on January 4 when she ventured out of the house. Her body was found in a garbage pile near Kashmir Chowk five days later.

A large contingent of police is present at the DHQ Hospital, which was ransacked by protesters a day earlier, and only patients are being allowed to enter the premises.

Moreover, police and Rangers are patrolling various areas of the city to prevent any incidents of violence. 

When a group of residents began blocking a main road, they were dispersed by police, which has orders to not use force and only detain demonstrators. 

JIT head changed 

Notification of the JIT head's change - Geo News

Moreover, the head of the joint investigation team (JIT) formed to probe the case was changed on Friday. According to a government notification, Additional IG Abu Bakar Khuda Baksh has been replaced by RPO Multan DIG Mohammad Idrees. 

Zainab's father, Ameen, had objected to the inclusion of the previous JIT head.

On Friday, members of the JIT reached the Kasur DPO office and held meetings with local officials.  

Violent protests 

As protests re-erupted in the city on Thursday, the house of local provincial lawmaker Naeem Safdar was ransacked. Police also failed to stop the protesters from ransacking the local government hospital. 

Residents protested across the city, including Kali Pul Chowk, whereas the Ferozepur Road, linking Kasur to nearby towns and cities, also remained blocked. 

Moreover, protest demonstrations over the incident were held across the country, from Peshawar to Karachi. 

The funeral of the two protesters allegedly killed by the police firing, Shoaib and Mohammad Ali, was held in the city's college ground.

Moreover, the funeral prayers of two protesters allegedly killed by police firing a day earlier were held on Thursday. 

Two policemen and as many civil defence officials have been held for firing on protesters while murder charges have been included in two FIRs registered against 16 unidentified policemen on the complaints of the deceased's brothers.