Friday, November 23, 2018
HANGU: The death toll from Friday's suicide blast targeting a local market in lower Orakzai district has risen to 33, officials confirmed, as two more injured persons succumbed to their wounds at a local hospital.
At least 31 people, including three children, were initially killed in the blast in Kalaya area of lower Orakzai district. According to the Commissioner Kohat Division Khalid Iqbal, three Sikh traders were also among the deceased.
District Health Officer Dr Nawab confirmed the death toll, saying that 56 injured of the blast were under treatment at the hospital.
So far, 28 deceased persons have been identified, whereas funeral prayers were offered for ten victims of the attack.
Commissioner Khalid Iqbal said the suicide attacker had come to the market on a motorcycle.
Shahbaz Ali, a resident who was buying food in the market, said he had seen a boy with his face covered ride up on a motorcycle.
"Suddenly a blast took place and then I was unconscious,” he told AFP.
Following the blast, the area was completely sealed off and an investigation into the incident was launched
This is not the first time the area has come under attack.
In 2011, 30 people including 10 cops, were killed and over 50 injured when a suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden double cabin van into the building of the Communication and Works Department.
Human Rights Minister Shireen Mazari condemned the attack and said, "we must ensure greater security for our tribal areas especially protection of our people."
"Condemn the horrific terror attack in Orakzai tribal area - 25 people killed and 35 injured. Toll could rise. As the US fails in Afghanistan Pak shd be prepared for fallout and we must ensure greater security for our tribal areas especially esp protection of our ppl," she tweeted.