China condemns attack on its consulate in Pakistan

Two policemen were martyred and a security guard injured as three gunmen tried to enter the Chinese consulate on Friday morning

Web Desk

BEIJING: Chinese foreign ministry on Friday said they strongly condemn the attack on their consulate in Pakistan.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said all consular staff and their families were safe following the shooting, which was claimed by a separatist group.

"China strongly condemns any violent attacks against diplomatic agencies and requests that Pakistan takes practical measures to ensure the safety of Chinese citizens and institutions in the country," Geng said at a regular press briefing.

Geng said the gunmen did not enter the consulate and the exchange of fire took place outside the facility.

"We highly appreciate the efforts of the Pakistani side," he said when asked about Pakistan's response to the attack.

Geng said the attack would not affect Beijing's commitment to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which seeks to connect its western province Xinjiang with the Arabian Sea port of Gwadar, in Balochistan.

"China and Pakistan are all-weather strategic partners," the spokesman said.

"With the broad support of the two peoples, it (CPEC) is proceeding in an orderly manner. China will continue to work with Pakistan to firmly move forward with the construction of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor," he said.

Earlier, today, Pakistani security forces successfully foiled an attack on the Chinese consulate in Karachi's Clifton Block-4.

Two policemen were martyred and a security guard injured as three gunmen tried to enter the consulate around 9:30am but were intercepted by security guards at a checkpoint, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) South Karachi Javed Alam Odho said. Retaliatory firing resulted in martyrdom of two police officials, he stated.

Three suspected suicide bombers were killed before they were able to enter the facility as forces successfully foiled the attack, Karachi Police Chief Dr Amir Shaikh said. "There were three attackers and all three have been killed... They could not even get in the compound. They tried to get into the visa section," the Karachi police chief said while speaking to the media outside the consulate.

“The men came to the consulate in a car which was loaded with explosives," he added.

Nine hand grenades, Kalashnikov bullets, magazines and explosives were recovered from the possession of the terrorists, police said. "Food supplies and medicines were also recovered from their possession," officials added.

Sources said that two civilians were also killed in the attack. "A man and his son who were visiting the embassy to apply for Chinese visas were killed in the attack," sources said.

All the staff inside the Chinese consulate remained safe, officials said.