Friday, March 17, 2023
In a horrific incident, an Indian man was rushed to hospital after he swallowed over 50 razor blades one by one for reasons yet unknown, NDTV reported.
Yashpal Singh, believed to be suffering from mental health issues, swallowed 56 razor blades along with the plastic cover.
Following the incident, the 26-year-old was taken to the hospital by his roommates where he complained of stomach pain while vomiting blood.
The man underwent a sonography test which revealed blades inside his body. An endoscopy was also conducted and the doctors decide to operate on him.
Dr Narsi Ram Devasi said that the man had "severe" cut marks on his neck and his body had swollen all over. The doctor also said that Singh had several cuts inside his body.
His surgery was carried out by a team of seven doctors — including a gynaecologist, paediatrician and other staff members — which removed all the blades from his stomach in three hours.
According to the doctor, it seemed that Singh had swallowed the three packets of blades by splitting them along with the plastic cover. As soon as the plastic dissolved inside his body, the blades reached his stomach, causing cuts and internal bleeding.
"It is possible that the young man had anxiety or depression, due to which he ate 3 whole packets of blades," the doctor told NDTV.
The family members of the young man had no clue why he ate so many blades and were left stunned.
However, the doctor said that the man's condition is stable now.