Monday, December 11, 2023
By
Web Desk

PPP leader suggests postponing elections in areas facing security threats

“Attacks by TTP in Balochistan are way higher than those by Baloch separatists,” says Abdul Qadir Baloch

By
Web Desk
People carrying electoral material on the eve of local government elections in Karachi, on January 14, 2023. — Online
People carrying electoral material on the eve of local government elections in Karachi, on January 14, 2023. — Online

  • Baloch says elections could be put off in areas under threat.
  • PPP leader says by-polls could be held in these constituencies later.
  • "Bugti should not have openly announced threats to Fazlur Rehman."


ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader and former federal minister Abdul Qadir Baloch has suggested postponing general elections in the areas facing security threats.

In an interview with a local TV channel Saturday, the PPP leader said that by-polls could be held in these constituencies later.

PPP’s Baloch said in a country with 236 seats, it was not appropriate to postpone elections for seven to eight seats and derail the democracy.

“Attacks by TTP in Balochistan are way higher than those by Baloch separatists,” the PPP leader said, adding that the terrorist organisation often targets Kalat, Mastung and neighbouring areas.

He said the threats are imminent and separatist elements do not believe in parliamentary politics, adding that these elements were hindering election campaigns in the province.

The PPP leader also said that Interior Minister Sarfraz Bugti should not have openly announced the threats to Fazlur Rehman in the media and could have communicated the same to the JUI-F leader indirectly.

He said the government, being aware of the threats, should take action to protect politicians in the country and fulfil its responsibility.

Rumours are doing the rounds in media and social media regarding the postponement of the February 8 polls on one pretext or another. However, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has categorically rejected such reports, saying the body is well prepared to hold polls on the date as announced.

Leading political parties have also voiced concerns on the matter and have warned against any delay.

Last week, caretaker Interior Minister Sarfraz Bugti had said JUIF chief Fazlur Rehman faced a security threat at a time when a general security threat persisted against the country’s entire political leadership.

Addressing a news conference, the minister said the government will spare no effort to ensure a peaceful atmosphere during the general elections and electioneering countrywide.

Following his statement, the JUI-F asked the minister to step down over failure to provide security to the party chief.

Taking to social media platform X, formerly Twitter, JUI-F leader Hafiz Hamdullah questioned the security czar whether he was responsible for merely informing or providing actual security in the wake of security threats.

The ECP is expected to announce the poll schedule during the current week to put all the speculations to rest.